The Free Hill Community Center was formerly the Free Hill
Rosenwald School. The "School House", as it was affectionately known is
located at 1440 Free Hill Road, in Celina, Clay County, Tennessee.
In 1919, Sears Roebuck & Company established a rural school building
program through the Rosenwald fund to build African American schools. In
1929 - 1930 the community with the aid of the Julius Rosenwald fund, a
grant program guided by Booker T. Washington, built a school to educate
their children on the land donated by several families. This was the only
Rosenwald building in Clay County. The school was closed in 1966 when
segregation officially ended.
The Rosenwald School of the Free Hills community in Clay County, Tennessee
was but one of 354 schools built in the state, with only about 30 still
standing. In the year 2000 the National Trust placed these schools on its
list of 11 Most Endangered Historic Places.